US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says warring parties in Sudan have agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire from midnight on Monday.
Mr Blinken said an agreement had been reached between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) after 48 hours of negotiations.
It is at least the third ceasefire to be announced since violence erupted this month but none have held.
Violence broke out primarily in Khartoum, between rival military factions battling for control of Africa’s third largest country.
Countries have scrambled to evacuate their diplomats and civilians as fighting raged in central, densely populated parts of the capital.